Thursday, September 2, 2010

fishing

fishing. i used to go fishing with my dad when i was little. he had some bamboo rods for my brother and i, and we threaded worms onto the hooks and swung the line out and we caught little sunfish and were thrilled. sometimes he let us use his rods and reel, but we inevitably got them messed up and tangled, and he was not at all mechanical, so that was usually the end of that. have done very little fishing since--a few times while we lived in Montana after chuck and I got hitched. We lived up in the Highland Mountains for a couple of years, and we fished for trout in Fish Creek, which sounds like a no brainer, but you really have to know what to use to catch the fish, and we never really did. one time, Chuck went ice fishing with a friend who did know what to use, and he came home with about 50 beautiful little trout. He had no idea how to clean them, but luckily, I did, so I cleaned them and put them in the freezer, and they were delicious.

My plan is to fish on the next TX200--would love to be able to catch something to eat each night, but I am going to have to find out what to use--lures or bait. Our son, Bonham is becoming quite a fisherman--he just sent a photo of himself with a big redfish in one hand and a big flounder in the other. He has promised to help me. He does tell me that this is the best time to buy a fishing license, as one bought now will last until the end of next August. I am also interested in crabs. I used to go crabbing with a neighbor down at Freeport when I was in High School. We would get a bunch of chicken necks and some string and a net, and go down to some canal and catch crabs. Then, because we had no idea how to cook them, we would give them to someone else who was crabbing in the same area. Would not do that again--would cook those babies and eat the meat. Probably could not get Chuck to eat it unless I got all the meat out for him though--he has never been interested in working for his food.

No comments: