Wednesday, September 1, 2010

boat plans, a theory

We have a whole bunch of wonderful boat designers whom we represent, and sometimes we feel bad when plans don't seem to move very well. I have given this a good deal of thought, and I have a new theory. Please be aware that this is strictly my (Sandra Leinweber) opinion, and does not constitute any sort of fact or even mean that Chuck agrees with me at all.

A homemade boat can be a thing of great beauty, and nothing is more satisfying to me than having someone ask where I got one of my boats--they have never seen anything like it. I say, "We made this from plans."

Many people do not even realize you can buy plans to build boats.

So here's the theory: If you are going to build a boat, you don't want it to look like a boat you can buy. Our most popular plans have that special little something--a line, a shape, a component that sets them apart from all the other boats on the lake. It is really that simple.

I know that there will be some builders who WANT their boat to look like all the other boats of the same type, but I think they are a definite minority. I am not saying that boat builders are iconoclasts, but I suspect that many are. I know I am.

No comments: