Saturday, October 11, 2008

blindness and being blindsided

We got something in the mail today that made me mad. Our high school (which all of our children attended) sent the high school newspaper, and they had a little note on the front page reminding everyone to vote, and alongside the reminder was a photo of John McCain. Just John McCain, no one else. I immediately thought of the time that my oldest daughter came home from school saying that she had learned in SCIENCE CLASS that men had one fewer ribs than women. I did a slow burn that time as well. If we have problems in our educational system, this is truly one of the hotspots. The idea that the information given to impressionable young minds is so limited, so biased, so prejudiced is, to my mind, truly unfortunate and even criminal. I am fully aware that we happen to live in an extremely conservative community, and I freely admit that we have little contact with most of our fellow citizens here, but I do not expect to change anyones mind or way of thinking, but if the public schools are going to do anything less than present all the information available, then we as a progressive society are truly in trouble.

No comments: